Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Nickel Creek break up? (I'm Ron Burgundy?)

Sad news. These guys (and girl) put on one of the most entertaining live shows I've ever seen and (though I hate to say it) are one of the first bands to open me up to the world of bluegrass music, which I have come to adore. This was a band that made great records and generated a loyal fanbase outside of any distinct musical circle. They were often too "out there" (translation: not Toby Keith) for mainstream country radio, too poppy for indie circles and though they were incredible musicians capable of improvising with the best of them, too song-oriented for the jam band scene. And after writing a magazine article on local old school bluegrass musicians, I learned that they are seen with downright contempt in some hardcore bluegrass circles. (Of course so is any music made in the last 50 years) Despite it (or maybe because of it) I loved these guys to death for a short period a couple of years ago, and it's sad to see them go. It was always awesome to be able to listen to a bluegrass rendition of a Pavement song ("Spit On A Stranger" from This Side) with my parents. You could always count on them for great taste in covers. RIP.

Nickel Creek- Just (Radiohead cover)


Nickel Creek- I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (Wilco cover)

Nickel Creek- Toxic (Brittany cover)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home